Thursday, April 27, 2006

Trapped in the Oven pt. 1

APARTMENT RIBS

INGREDIENTS

For ribs:

Ribs
1/2 cup margarita mix
1/2 Orange juice (not fresh squeezed)


For rub:

Brown sugar
Chile Powder
Garlic powder
Thyme (ground)
Cayenne
Allspice

For glaze:

1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon espresso powder/instant coffee crystals
1/3 teaspoon cayenne

For posterity (i.e. for when I inevitably lose the photocopy I have of this recipe). First, the rub: the recipe I have says 5 parts brown sugar, 3 parts chile powder, 1 part garlic powder, 1/2 part thyme, 1/4 part cayenne, and 1/4 allspice. I like mine spicier than sweet, so I only use 2 parts brown sugar and then jack up the cayenne and garlic powder. I think it can be pretty improvisatory anyway.

Rinse the rack of ribs and pat dry with paper towels, then thoroughly rub on that rub. Put meat side down on a big ol' sheet of foil and fold to create a packet. Fold long sides into the middle of the ribs first, and then fold up the short sides. Refrigerate for 6-12 hours, sleep, party, get hungry, etc.

When you're ready to roll, preheat the oven to 350 and get out the rib packet. Unroll one end and pour in the margarita mix + orange juice. Reseal, swish around, and put in oven (middle) in a roasting pan (or whatever's handy, it shouldn't get too messy because of the foil). Cook for 1 hour, then reduce heat to 250 and cook for another 2 hours. Turn on a movie, perhaps Kansas City.

Now remove from oven, unroll one end of the packet, and drain the juice into a sauce pan. Add the honey, ketchup, worcestershire, espresso powder (or rather the Folger's instant coffee crystals that I had to substitute), and cayenne. I pretty much free-handed these ingredients and it worked out fine. Bring the mixture to a boil, whisking frequently until "reduced to a glaze that coats a spoon."

Move oven rack to the next-to-top position and turn on the broiler (high if you have a choice). Cut the ribs into four equal sections using kitchen shears and place meat-side up on pan. Brush with the glaze and then broil for 2-3 minutes. Reglaze and repeat until the ribs are "a dark mahogany color". Careful, it seems like the top is apt to blacken pretty quickly at this point. Flip 'em bone side up, glaze, and broil for another minute.

Serve with mashed potatoes or fries and then enjoy the food coma.

Note: Even though the recipe is for one rack of ribs, I was able to use pretty much the quantity of ingredients specified for the rub and glaze for two full racks.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jesse said...

What kind of ribs? Porcine? Do you keep kosher?

I still have to avoid the topic of my pork-eating with my family.

12:45 AM  
Blogger JordanC said...

I think the recipe would work with pork or beef, but I was doing pork (I think?!).

I really, really don't keep kosher (but my mom does, and I try not to talk about it with her).

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home